Malton - 01653 692247
York - 01904 716000
Wetherby - 01937 583210
Malton 01653 692247
Farming & Agriculture

Farming & Agriculture Lawyers Yorkshire

Pearsons & Ward specialises in farming and agriculture and is relied on by many farmers when disputes arise.  

We understand that within farming and agriculture, there is an increase in regulation, compliance, tax issues, land matters, health and safety, and retirement that can affect the farming community. As such, it can be frustrating and often stressful to keep up with changing rules and ensure that you comply with the law.

At Pearsons & Ward, we are accustomed to the legal challenges you may face, which is why we have expert lawyers to assist with your needs. 

Together with our team of core advisors, including experienced land agents, we can provide you with the trusted advice you need. Contact us today on 01653 692247 or complete our online enquiry form

How we can assist you with farming and agriculture?

We help with resolving disputes that affect landowners, farmers, and estates, including the following areas:

If you need assistance with any of the above areas of farming and agriculture law, do not hesitate to contact us.

Could your agricultural land have potential for housing development?

With a housing shortage blighting our country, farmers may be tempted by the opportunity to sell off some surplus agricultural land for development purposes and bring in extra cash.

But what steps need to be taken and what are the challenges involved?

  1. Engage a local land agent who will examine the land and advise you whether it has any potential for development.
  2. You should check the title of the property. Scrutinise the land’s deeds to ensure you have good title and that there are no restrictions on it, or if neighbouring landowners have rights which might constrain development on the land.
  3. If the land is unregistered, now is a good time to get it registered with the Land Registry. If it is registered, again check the register to ensure there are no interests registered which might interfere with development plans.
  4. Think carefully about access to and from the land you may wish to sell to ensure there are no encumbrances, but also make sure that you will retain access to the land you are keeping after the other land is sold.

If the land is designated for agricultural use, planning permission will be needed to change it to residential use. This can be a complex and lengthy process and there is no guarantee of success. For more information please contact our agricultural team.

Diversification of Agricultural Land into residential and other tenancies

Higher demand for housing and higher demand for local travel among UK holidaymakers, coupled with a desire for additional income streams in the face of post-Brexit concerns, has made farm diversification into letting cottages, barns and outbuildings more attractive.

However, before setting up a new venture it is important that you do your homework and get professional advice. If you'd like to speak to someone about diversifying your agricultural land, please get in touch

Contact our Farming and Agriculture Solicitors in Yorkshire

At Pearsons & Ward we have the knowledge and expertise to assist in legal matters relating to agriculture, farming, and estate disputes. Our clients value the work we do as we strive to get the best possible outcome for them based on their needs. 

To find out how our team can help you, contact us today on 01653 692247 or complete our online enquiry form to find out more.

Contact us
Philip Taylor
Philip Taylor Director - Residential Property
Malton Office

Contact Philip

Julie Bradwell Associate - Litigation
Malton Office, York Office, Wetherby Office

Contact Julie

Andrew Little Head of Commercial Property (Malton)
Malton Office

Contact Andrew